Confessions of a Pessioptimist

I go from Hot, to Cold to Funny. Which am I today?

Friday, May 05, 2006

are you afraid?

While listening to my cds this morning on my way to work, I decided to pop in Jill Scott's latest. After listening to "I Am Not Afraid" for the 50th time in my life, I thought to a friend's blog the other day, where he was speaking about how he had so many doubts in his life, and was somewhat afraid of where he was going and how he was going to get there.. if at all.

I think a lot of us 20-somethings... and maybe even 30-somethings and 40-somethings feel that way.

- Am I up to par with my peers?
- Am I living up to my parent's expecations?
- Am I living up to MY expectations?
- Did I make the right career move?
- Did I get the right degree?
- Do people think that I am successful?
- Do people think I am a failure?
- Am I afraid of committment?
- Is my Significant Other afraid of committment?
- I'm a pretty rockin person.. why can't I find my mate?
- Did I move to the wrong city at the wrong time?

To all those questions, I don't have all the answers, cause I, admittedly, ask myself some of those questions. But I will ask this... do you have so many questions and in limbo because you're afraid of taking a chance?

I'm learning more and more in life that you have to take the chance, regardless of what decision you make. Nothing is guaranteed, nothing is a sure thing. But I do notice that many of my peers waffle a lot... afraid of what will happen. Afraid that they are settling. Afraid that they're really incompetent. Afraid to take that next step with a significant other.. because after all.. what if?

I feel like this. If you ask yourself enough what if's, you'll remain in a holding pattern and continually run yourself into a circle, and eventually into a wall.

think about your life right now. Do you have a decision to make? Have you had that decision for a while?

I challenge you to not be afraid... after all, God didn't give ANYBODY the spirit of fear... so that means....:)



Thanks Jilly from Philly. (she does a FABULOUS concert too!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love u for this!!!

12:27 PM  
Blogger DramaQueen said...

First of all, that might be my favorite song on the whole album...she is speaking truth! And I feel ya, Amb...can't even answer half of those questions. And I am slowly coming to terms with that fact that I don't have to all of those answers right now. I'm trying to just take it one day at a time.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Amb. :)

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home